About this Role
PAC-MAN to Tekken, Tamagotchi to Dark Souls, we are a games company steeped in history and BANDAI NAMCO Mobile is the exciting new pillar of the BANDAI NAMCO Group’s mobile strategy, to grow from the #5 global mobile publisher to #1!
We offer a truly flat structure, full role autonomy, and the creative freedom of a start-up, whilst still having the legacy, resources, and stability of BANDAI NAMCO, a global gaming powerhouse. Our goal in Barcelona is to enrich BANDAI NAMCO's list of successful IPs by creating original and innovative mobile games.
Principal Combat Designer
We are seeking a highly creative, veteran Designer with a wealth of experience in Combat Design to explore and challenge new territory in the Mobile space. With the collective design team, you will define, maintain, and develop the creative vision of the studio as we drive the ideation of new innovative mobile games at Bandai Namco Mobile.
You will be joining our Senior Games team, responsible for some of the world's top-grossing F2P Games. With this team, you will be prototyping innovative new midcore F2P games from scratch with the goal of providing an experience to players like no other has done before, as well as championing best design practices in the studio.
Your main goal will be to deliver the best action and combat experience in mobile games, creating a combat system that enables exciting and varied situations by designing new mechanics, weapons and characters that keep the game fun while maintaining balance.
As we are in the early stages of development, your ability to prototype, define the right questions that the prototype must answer, and iterate with the rest of the development team is paramount. With this, you must be able to look at your ideas from an outside perspective, decide collectively when and why to kill a project and be ready to start the next one incorporating new learnings.
- 5+ years of experience in Combat Design
- Experience in multiplayer PvP action games with strong melee combat components, with at least one F2P title, launched/live.
- Strong knowledge of melee and ranged combat games with a talent for creating interesting mechanics and scenarios.
- A willingness to innovate and disrupt the market with new genres and unique experiences with top-tier game feel.
- Clear & concise communicator of game concepts and quality targets.
- Hunger and passion for making and playing games; being curious and thinking critically about why some games do become global hits.
- Extensive knowledge of the design process, having participated in all stages of game development, from prototype to live operations across several titles with understanding of all aspects of design including: combat, levels, controls, balance, game-feel, retention, monetization.
- Able to facilitate and contribute to group ideation sessions, gather feedback, and define action points for future iterations.
- An understanding of the constraints and challenges of designing from scratch mobile F2P games able to engage players for years.
- Able to constructively critique ideas or designs from the team, whilst welcoming and integrating feedback on your own work.
- A positive and proactive self-managed approach to Game development.
- Programming skills (C#, Unity) and experience in Animation would be a welcome addition, but not necessary for the role.